Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Where I work and What I Do: Sekgele Training Home Society


Hey guys, welcome to the revamped Jeff in Botswana.  Since I so epically failed in both consistency and content in my previous blogs, I have decided to change things up a bit and start theming together blogs with the goal of posting something new every two weeks.  This means better content, more pictures (updated on flickr so follow the link there), and a commitment to keeping it updated.  Essentially, everything my last attempts were not. 

So without further ado, let us now continue to the first theme, Where I Work and What I Do, which will cover all the job related aspects of life in Gumare.  The first will be Sekgele Training Home Society, my primary assignment here in Gumare that focuses on people with disabilities in the Okavango.

Where I Work and What I Do: Sekgele Training Home Society

I have mentioned Sekgele a bit in previous posts, but not nearly as much I should given that I am either at their office or home working on projects for them at least fifty percent of my day. 

Now what does that fifty percent consists of?  Mostly, it’s fundraising and more recently setting up a website with the help of my fellow PCV Dave's son, Nathan Lafratta.  The address is www.sekgele.com, but it’s in its infancy so if you visit it keep that in mind.  Somewhat surprisingly, this means that most of my work is on the computer either helping to write and research grants, keeping track of our contacts with local businesses we have approached through excel, and lastly formatting and filling in our wordpress run website.

With this said, not everything I do is on the computer.  Every week my counterpart, Gosalamang (pronounced ho-tsa-la-mung), Sekgele’s admin assistant, OG, and I get together to map out a game plan for the week.  Usually, this turns into them telling me that I will be brought along to meetings with various governmental organizations, board-members, and other partner institutions.   
Right now all this translate into some pretty cool projects:
  •       Project 1: Sewing Workshop

Before I got to Sekgele they applied and were awarded a grant from Botswana’s Women Affairs Department to build a sewing workshop on our compound.  The workshop is going allow Sekgele’s members and clients an opportunity to earn money mainly through selling the government school year uniforms it gives to Orphan and Vulnerable children as well provide Sekgele with a small percentage of the profits to cover operating costs.

Recently, the money has been released and construction has started so I am helping with the implementation of this project.  So far this has meant helping my counterpart and Sekgele’s board identify the builder and even negotiate a lower construction price (we saved over $100!).  Eventually, I hope to help Sekgele broaden what the sewing workshop produces and maybe even get an online store going through Etsy.com to sell traditionally African patterned aprons.  
  •        Project 2: Beads for Hope

About six months ago, we applied for a grant from the U.S. Embassy to start our Beads for Hope program.  Like the sewing project, Beads for Hope is another one of Sekgele’s projects that will give Sekgele, its clients, and members a source of income. 

Through the grant we will receive enough money to purchase materials that the members can use to produce beaded jewelry through recycled magazines and posters.  This project should get underway within the next month, but right now we are starting to lay the ground work to again market our products international.  The website is just the first marketing step, with the next being developing a product line and then getting together a store on Etsy.com.  Then finally, at the trainings the members of Sekgele will be producing the jewelry which we hope to sell online at this store as well to local business and lodges. Again, special thanks to Dave Lafratta's son, Nathan, for helping out with getting the website together and giving me great advice on how to get started!  
  •         Project 3: Engagement of the Private Sector

      For about five months now, Sekgele’s staff, the board-members, and I have been meeting somewhat regularly by Botswana’s standards to discuss the progress of our fundraising model that a former Bots 12 in Maun, Mary Sue Barry, helped us develop.   This may sound mundane but asking the private sector for money besides through grants simply does not happen.  So what this trend does is leave all the ngos in Botswana applying for the same grant money from the same large organizations.  In most cases, the local businesses are simply not asked for money.  So when we asked Mary Sue to help us out she had a great model that does exactly what no one else does, approach local businesses.  And so far it is what we have been doing, though I say so far because recently we stalled after a few months of having great response from our twenty to thirty meetings.  Actually tomorrow, we are supposed to meet to revamp our fundraising model. 

As you probably notice, these projects are not really hands on working with Sekgele’s clients.  Rather the hope is that by helping Sekgele develop much needed fiscal sustainable, I am contributing to the greater goal of better the lives of people with disabilities in the Okavango.   Since they are mostly at the beginning phases, we will just have to wait and see how it goes.  For more updates on Sekgele, keep checking our website periodically.  Finally, I have put up pictures of what Sekgele looks on my flickr account, just follow the link to the side and find the Sekgele set and you will be able to see where I spend some of my days.  

Oh, and one last note, I will mention the people I work with in much more detail in the next theme Friends and Colleagues in Gumare so to keep this post’s brevity.  Wait, one more last note, for those who are wondering I have been here for a little over 11 months now, with a short trip back home for Christmas which was so great, and have about 15 months more to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment